Monday, January 20, 2014

Nonfiction Text Features (2) and a Teacher's Dream!

As promised, I am back with a little more from our Nonfiction Text Features study.   
(If you want to see part one, click here)

I pulled a bunch of Nonfiction books from my shelves and scattered them on the table.  I let each child pick one to take back to their desk.  We talked through all the different features that was listed on our chart and the children looked through their book to see if they had each one.  After we looked at many different features from different books, I asked them to get a scrap piece of paper and write down 3 different facts that they learned from reading.  Here are a few pics of our research:





Sometimes the simplest activities turn out to be the best.  My firsties absolutely loved getting to look through and find all the different features we have been learning about.  


On Fridays we try and have "free" centers in the afternoon.  We test all day and I have a ton to get graded and into the computer.  They always have the choice to do any of the centers we worked on for the week or read from different books around the room.  I was frantically working at my table and noticed a great silence.  This is quite unusual for free centers so when I looked around my room this is what I saw:









ALL my children were reading!  They CHOSE to read!  All on their OWN!  I didn't have to beg or plead.  I couldn't believe it!  It definitely was a teacher's dream!

May your students choose to read all on their own this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover