Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Finishing Plants ... and Adjectives! (and a little freebie)

We finished up our study of plants last week.  This is my science bulletin board that I switch out for new units.

I have been using this super cute craftivity for a couple of years now.


It's from Made for First Grade.  Click on the picture to check it out.

Plants Literature & Art  Unit
We labeled a plant and then created a "Need, Have, Are" chart together.

We've been talking about Adjectives the last few weeks so I gave each kiddo a sticky and let them write down an adjective and we added it to our plant.



Speaking of adjectives....
I threw together a little mini unit for adjectives.  Adjective always seem to be so hard for my firsties so I wanted to try and make it a little more fun for them.  I wrote some "plain, old, boring" sentences on our chart paper.  (You could use sentence strips if you wanted to)  Then I printed some adjectives on card-stock and then glued them to popsicle sticks.  They have to "blindly" pull out a stick and read the sentence with their adjectives.  





We did this little activity each day for practice.  Each day I had them write a sentence they made in their journal and then they'd have to illustrate it.  The seemed to really enjoy this.  It was funny to see some of their drawings.

Feel free to click on any of the adjective pics above to grab my mini unit for free.  :)

If you do download it, please show me a little "comment-love" :)

We begin our Shared Research and Writing Projects next week and I can't wait.  We had a total blast with our research last year and I'm excited to see my firsties "dive in" this year too!

My class will be doing the

Woodland Animals


My other team mates will be doing

Safari

Ocean

Polar

and The Rain forest that I am feverishly trying to finish by next week.  I'll get it posted as soon as I finish. 

Each of our first grade teachers do a different set of animals.  We share our books with each other and we work on them for about a month.  At the end of school, we have a "Writing Project" night for our parents.  They are able to walk through all our rooms to see their writing and art projects for the animal they chose.  I will post more about this as we go along.  If you would like to see our Writing Night from last year, 

Have a great rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover